PlanetScale is building the database for developers – we’re keeping the good parts of the relational database and leaving behind the baggage.
We build our platform on top of Vitess, built by our co-founders at YouTube and Google. We also provide enterprise support for customers running Vitess in their environment.
The Customer Success team’s goal is to take a customer from deploying Vitess to successfully running their business on it. You will work alongside customers as they scale out their systems, to take full advantage of Vitess and/or the PlanetScale platform. When there are questions you will answer them, when there are problems you will fix them.
- You have excellent debugging and troubleshooting skills. You know when something isn't right and more importantly you know exactly how to fix it.
- There is nothing too complex for you to understand once you’ve dug in. You don't stop at a solution, you stop when you know why.
- You are also great at helping others understand complex things. You can translate from technical to practical and every level in between.
What you will need
- Experience deploying and running databases and applications, preferably at scale.
- Working knowledge of Kubernetes.
- Working knowledge of one or more of the major cloud IaaS platforms (AWS, Azure, GCP).
- Solid networking background; we are often pulling up tcpdump traces to debug problems.
- Experience with MySQL and SQL.
- Strong ability to communicate and deal directly with customers, whether in email, Slack, video conference, or in person.
- Programming experience. While you will not be programming full-time, the ability to pinpoint problems by navigating unfamiliar code, and potentially generate patches when necessary is required.
What else will help you be successful
- Knowledge of common application deployment platforms and frameworks. Our customers use all kinds of languages and frameworks to speak to MySQL. While no-one can possibly be fluent with all of them, knowledge of a few can be super-useful.
- Experience in identifying product gaps in a customer-specific context and working with Technical Account Management, Engineering and Sales Engineering teams to prioritize them.
Where you will be working
- Our team is distributed across the US and beyond. However, our customers are concentrated in the US, so being in a US timezone is a must for the moment.