PlanetScale is growing rapidly and reinventing the database space. We have built the database for developers unlike any others – we kept the good parts of the relational database and left behind the baggage. Because our 'touch of the button' solutions are so unique, our customers choose to entrust us with what is often their most precious digital assets, so the stakes couldn't be higher.
This is a unique opportunity to be a high-impact, early member of the PlanetScale team. Reporting directly to the VP of Finance, you will be our first Accounting hire responsible for all accounting functions from customer and vendor management to financial reporting, financial audits, and tax compliance. If you have experience as a Controller in high-growth, fast-paced startup environments, building a team, and scaling accounting workflows through system implementation, automation, and shared services, we want to meet you!
What are the day to day responsibilities?
- All accounting operational functions including billing, A/R, A/P, revenue recognition, fixed assets, and overall GL
- Month-end and year-end close process
- Multi-state and international payroll
- Preparing and publishing timely monthly financial statements
- Collaborating with business partners across functions to support business needs and ensure timely and accurate capture of data between accounting systems, internal databases & SaaS applications
- Preparation for and timely completion of the company’s first financial audit including:
- Implementation of stock based compensation accounting process
- Design and implementation of internal use software policy & process
- Documentation of relevant accounting policies and processes
- Investor reporting
- Providing management with information vital to the decision-making process
- Tax compliance
- Designing & implementing internal controls commensurate with the changing scale of the business
- Scale and manage a best in class Accounting function that combines internal & external resources to support the business
As the ideal candidate you value...
- Being part of a Finance team that reflects the company it serves, and like every other team shoots for the stars in every area of its responsibilities. That includes every aspect of the work like the integrity of the company’s financial data, like using systems and implementing processes that are scalable and minimize friction, like maintaining compliance to meet the needs of the business and inspire trust.
- A high productivity, high autonomy environment that rewards excellent work and provides the tools and support to back it up. We don’t leave our teammates to fend for themselves or send them on aimless expeditions.
- Colleagues that help you achieve your potential and an accountable management team. You will always know where you stand.
- Benefits over “benefits.” We put the energy and dollars into supporting your real needs as an adult human being.
What specific skills or attributes will help you be successful?
- Proven experience as a Financial Controller in a high growth setting
- 7+ years of related work and operational accounting experience including experience at high-growth start ups
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance required; CPA preferred
- Excellent technical and operational accounting skills
- Curiosity, accountability, ownership, an inclination to learn, an eye for detail, ability to move fast & adapt, an openness to new & unfamiliar challenges, a willingness & ability to get your hands dirty
- Ability to build and lead a high performance, values driven team
- You are a highly effective remote worker, but you love coming together with the team
- Advanced spreadsheet skills (can maintain complex spreadsheets) and comfort with analyzing large datasets to make informed decisions
- History of solving complex operational and accounting challenges
- A systems-first mindset, experience designing complex processes, familiarity with data flows
- Excellent project management skills with prior system implementation experience